This is a delicious winter warmer. It's very versatile- I adjust quantities according to how many tomatoes need using up- this recipe does a double batch so you can freeze half for another meal.
I also love using this as a base for a vege packed soup. Once I've blended the base I throw in a couple of diced zucchini, several handfuls of baby spinach, a drained and rinsed tin of cannellini beans, sometimes even cooked pasta.
- 6 large tomatoes oxheart, 'kumatos', romas are all great
- 3 punnets of cherry tomatoes
- 3 carrots finely sliced
- 1 large Spanish onion
- 2-3 tbs of olive oil
- Generous pinch of salt
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 fresh chopped chilli optional
- 2 tins diced tomatoes or passata if preferred
- 3 cups water or vegetable stock
- 3 pieces spelt sourdough bread, crusts cut off
- 1 large handful of fresh basil to serve
Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees fan forced
Combine tomatoes, carrots, onion, oil, and salt in a baking dish
Cook until tomatoes collapsed- around 25-30 minutes
Remove from oven and place in a saucepan with remaining ingredients (not basil)
Season to taste with salt and pepper
Simmer for 10-15 minutes then remove from heat
Blend well with a stick mixer
If adding additional vegetables, beans or pasta do that now and return to heat until all warmed through
Otherwise, stir through basil leaves and serve.